A breast augmentation can be a great option for patients who are looking to enlarge the breasts via implants. At Atlantic Surgical Associates, we are proud to offer this and other breast surgery procedures to the residents of West Long Branch, East Brunswick and Edison, NJ, as well as those of the nearby areas of New York.
What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure that uses breast implants to enhance the size and shape of the breasts. Breast implants come in a variety of materials and sizes, making it easy for patients to achieve results that fulfill their unique cosmetic goals. Breast augmentation can be a great option for patients who would like to achieve larger breasts to enhance the proportions of their body. Many patients who receive a breast augmentation at Atlantic Surgical Associates enjoy a boost in confidence and long-lasting, natural-looking results.
How Much Does Breast Augmentation Cost?
The cost of your breast augmentation will vary depending on the implants desired and the surgical techniques involved in your procedure. During your consultation, you and Dr. Volshteyn will discuss your cosmetic goals in order to determine the best approach to your breast augmentation treatment. Once your treatment plan is developed, we will be able to provide you with the cost of your treatment. To learn more about what you can expect and how you can pay for your treatment, please refer to our page on plastic surgery financing.
What Types of Breast Implants Are Available?
At Atlantic Surgical Associates, we offer both silicone and saline breast implants. Each type of implant has different advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to consider your options when planning your breast augmentation.
- Silicone implants are filled with a smooth silicone gel. These implants often produce a more natural look and feel. However, it can be difficult to detect a rupture and other complications with silicone implants. For this reason, patients with silicone implants will have to be diligent in monitoring their implants.
- Saline implants have a silicone shell, but are filled with a saltwater solution. While they may not feel as natural as silicone implants, saline implants are able to be inserted into the breasts while empty, then filled once they are in place. This means that saline implants can be inserted using smaller incisions, resulting in less scarring. Plus, the saltwater solution is safely absorbed by the body in the event of a ruptured implant.
What is Breast Implant Removal?
Breast implant removal is a procedure performed when a patient needs or wants to have their breast implants removed. This may be necessary if an implant ruptures or if a patient is unhappy with the results from their procedure. In most cases, we are able to remove the breast implants using the incisions that were used to place them, helping to minimize additional scarring.
What is Breast Augmentation Like?
Breast augmentation procedures are performed under general anesthesia to keep patients safe and comfortable during the procedure. The incisions made for your breast augmentation will depend on the type and size of implants you choose. Dr. Volshteyn may use a number of surgical approaches, including:
- Inframammary Incision — An incision is made under the breast, along its natural fold. This is a common approach, and produces scars that are well-hidden by the natural contours of the breasts.
- Transaxillary Incision — An incision is made in the armpits, leaving no scars on the breasts. However, this approach may be limited to smaller breast implants and specific types of implants.
- Periareolar Incision — Incisions are made around the areola of the nipple. With this approach, any scarring should blend in with the darkened color of the areola.
Once incisions are made, your desired implants will be inserted and positioned in the breast. Once they are in place, the incisions will be closed and the treatment will be complete.
What is the Recovery Period Like After Breast Augmentation?
After a breast augmentation, patients may need to take about a week off of work and other normal activities in order to rest and heal. During this time, it is common to experience bruising, swelling, and varying levels of discomfort. After the initial recovery period, patients will have to take extra care to avoid exercise and other strenuous activities for at least a month. Patients are encouraged to get as much rest as possible during this time in order to facilitate a speedy recovery.
Are the Results from Breast Augmentation Permanent?
Breast implants are designed to be long-lasting, so your results from breast augmentation can be permanent. However, many patients choose to have maintenance procedures done several years after their initial breast augmentation in order to maintain the integrity of their breast implants and make any desired adjustments.
To learn more about the breast augmentation procedure, contact us today at Atlantic Surgical Associates. With locations in Edison and West Long Branch, we offer convenient, high-quality care to the residents of New Brunswick, East Brunswick, and the neighboring areas of New York and New Jersey.